Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Baseball Playoffs

I am fond of making predictions about my teams in a tangible medium of expression prior to the big games, so that I can hope to have bragging rights when I am right (this happens roughly 9% of the time).

So, for my NLCS-bound St. Louis Cardinals: Might the key to the series be Reggie Sanders' .429 BA, .529 OBP, 5 HR, and 13 RBI in 11 games against Houston this regular season?

I agree that Houston's cadre of pitchers is the best playoff 1-2-3 I've ever seen assembled for a playoff series. However, these same teams played last season. Houston was missing Pettitte due to injury. St. Louis was missing Carpenter for the same reason. Both are back and pitching well.

Mark Mulder is the bonus addition for the Cards. That is a pretty big bonus. Oswalt and Backe (who is scheduled to start game 4) were a combined 1-3 against St. Louis this year in 6 starts. Backe gave up 13 runs in 11 1/3 innings, and Oswalt surrendered 11 runs in 19 innings.

Might it be that the Cards that won last year, are stronger on paper this year? Let's hope so. STL in 7.